There is nothing I love more in the dead of winter than pulling out some preserved summer blueberries from the freezer and making a pie for my family.  It will definitely cure the winter blahs.
And it gave me a good excuse to use my new vintage pie server that hubby brought home with a box of vintage flatware.  Anyone else think the pie photo above looks like a face??  My youngest, who's sitting here with me as I type, this just pointed that out.  And I think I'm gonna have to agree.

This pie is simple to make because I just use a store bought pie crust dough, which is just as good as the homemade kind, if you ask me.
Put 4 cups of fresh or frozen blueberries in a bowl with 3/4 cups sugar, 
1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 cup flour.  Combine.
Place one roll of pastry dough in the bottom of a pie dish.
Next, pour blueberry mixture in, making sure to evenly distribute the sugar, flour, cinnamon mixture.
Next, unroll second piece of pastry dough and place on top of the pie, seal the edges and cut four slits in the top for steam to escape.
Whisk one egg to make an egg wash for the top and brush the top of the pie, then sprinkle with sugar.
Place pie on top of a cookie sheet to catch any spills and bake in a 400 degree oven for about 45 minutes or until top is golden brown.  
If the top of your pie browns too quickly, place a piece of foil over the top. 
Grab your favorite vanilla gelato or whip up some fresh cream to serve on top of the warm pie and sit back and remember your favorite summer memories. Enjoy and have a great weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top