Our den.  It's the room I have trouble decorating because it's the room we watch tv in, throw our stuff in, relax in, eat in, etc......you know what I mean.  It leaves me feeling somewhat uninspired.  I have been trying to find something interesting to hang on the wall, other than store bought art, for quite some time, without much luck.  Then my little boy brought home some inspiration from school.
It was the last day of school, his teachers were cleaning out the classroom and giving away some things, so he grabbed these for me.  It's a box of old floral pictures!
How perfect are these!  I knew I could use the color photos for wall art and thought they would give it just the splash of color and creativity the den needed.  I chose my favorite flowers out of the stack and ended up with 12.  I picked up 12 plain wood frames from the Dollar Tree and spray painted them with Rustoleum oil rubbed bronze spray paint.   I chose that color because it's what I had on hand and because I wanted the frame color to have a little bit of warmth instead of just using black spray paint. 

For the matte, I grabbed a roll of postal wrapping paper, also at the Dollar Tree, and cut out appropriate sized mattes.   Then attached the floral prints with a tiny piece of tape on the back to make sure they didn't slide around, inserted into the frame and that was it.  Fun!  Hanging them.....not so much.  It took me a couple of hours to get those on the wall evenly spaced and perfect.  You should see all the nail holes behind the frames.  I'll have to go back and spackle those up later.  But it is an eye catching wall display that really perked up our den and inspired me to do some other things in there.  If you have any old books with pictures of foliage, flowers, trees, you could do the same thing.  Old books are a great source for finding images to put in a frame, and hanging those images in multiples is a great way to turn a wall into a great focal point.  Or you could also choose some interesting foliage, leaves, etc. outside from your own yard, press them in a book and then frame on the matte of your choosing after it's completely dried out and flat.  This project cost me around $14.  But it wouldn't have been possible without my thoughtful little boy.  We had lots of fun working on it together.
Stay tuned for some cool things from this room!  Thanks for visiting me today!  I truly appreciate it!

P.S. Still to come......bathroom remodel and Father's Day yumminess!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top