After seeing the cute-as-a-button ruler box that Layla Palmer at The Lettered Cottage included in her beautiful spring mantel, I knew I just had to make one for myself.  It only took about an hour and cost around $3 since I already had most of what I needed.

To start, I determined the size I wanted the box to be.  I decided on 14 inches in length and 3 1/2 inches in depth.  I took a yardstick that I already had from Lowes and cut two 14 inch long pieces from it using a saw.  For the bottom of the box, I picked up a piece of pine craft wood at Lowes measuring 1/4 inch in thickness and 3 1/2 inches in depth x 36 inches in length for around three bucks.  Using a saw, I cut it to match the same length of the two pieces of yardstick I cut earlier.  I attached the two yardstick pieces to the top of the flat side of the craft wood using wood glue and let dry.  This is the front and back of your box.  Be sure to wipe off any excess glue.

For the end pieces, I measured the distance from the inside of the yardstick pieces and cut accordingly to make the two ends using the remainder of the craft wood, attaching with wood glue.  Tip: always measure twice and cut once!  I did the same for the two divider sections inside the box.

After letting the box dry, I sanded off any excess glue residue.  I wanted the box to have an aged, imperfect look to it so I mixed together a couple of stains that I already had, Minwax Gunstock and Special Walnut, using an old rag.  Voila!  An adorable little ruler box that makes me smile!  I'm still new to the blogging world so I apologize for not having photos of each step in the process.  Oops!  I promise to have plenty of photos of my next project.  Stay tuned for my side porch redo before and after photos!  Have a great day all!
The Lettered Cottage

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top