This past summer I made a hasty decision to paint our front door a mustard yellow.  It was one of those decisions that I knew I'd regret almost as soon as I made it.  And I did.

Truth is, I absolutely detest the door.  It doesn't go with our house and I just plain don't like it.   It has been every color under the rainbow but I finally figured out that painting it over and over isn't going to make me like it more.

I want a craftsman wood door but that certainly isn't in our budget so I attempted to do the next best thing.  A faux wood door.  I had no idea how to do this so I guessed as I went along.   The door already has fake wood grain embedded so I didn't need the tool to get that look.  I just wanted a deeply rich colored door with many dimensions, if that makes sense.  But most of all, I wanted to cover that window.


Anyway........yuck!  Here is the before.


Luckily, we have a nice wood screen door that covers this ickiness up.  That door also received a transformation that I will share when I share our Fall Porch.

Here is the front door after.


I would like to be able to tell you the colors I used but I just mixed a bunch of colors from my paint stash and then rubbed an antiquing glaze over the entire door.  The antiquing glaze I bought at Lowes.  I just dabbed and rubbed off until I had the look I wanted.  The colors included a leather brown color, a chocolate color and a gold and a little black.

Then to cover the glass, I painted chalkboard paint, 4 coats to be exact, and stenciled the message on the front.  I also painted chalkboard paint on the glass on the other side of the door but I'll show you that later.

I. Love. It!! 

After 7 years of living in this house, I finally love the front door and I only had to spend 10 bucks for the glaze since I had everything else.  Yay!

What do you think?

I'll be sharing our Fall Porch soon so stay tuned!! 

Follow along between posts on Instagram!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top