I've been so inspired by barn doors lately and when I found out my hubby had access to lots of old barn wood, I just knew I had to build one. After seeing a bedroom inside a barn (above) in a Pottery Barn catalog, the idea of a barn door headboard was born. It started with this pile of barn wood.
I gave it a good scrubbing and left it out to dry in the sun for a day or so. It really is beautiful wood....just needed a little TLC.
When I was ready to start putting the barn door together, I loaded up my wood and brought it all inside to my dining room because it was raining. I laid it out to find the most visually appealing look based on the patina of each board.
After that, I started measuring for the top, bottom and cross section pieces so I could start making my cuts with the miter saw. The cross section pieces were both 45 degree angle cuts and the rest were straight cuts on the saw. Pretty easy to do and every woman should learn how to use a saw. It's fun! And makes you feel really powerful!
After that, I started putting them together with my new nail gun that hubby bought for me. Yay! After being a little intimidated by it, he taught me how to use it and now I don't know what I ever did without one.
And, it's all done!
And now, the big reveal.....
I don't think I've ever been so excited about how a project turned out before! I LOVE this room. It's romantic, rustic and lovely. Exactly the look I wanted to create.
I made the duvet and shams out of a set of white hotel sheets I bought at Sam's and sewed a chocolate brown 1 inch satin ribbon around the perimeter after seeing and loving this duvet set at Pottery Barn but not being so thrilled with the price tag. So I created my own version for a quarter of the price. The beautiful white peonies on our bedside table were a gift from my good friend, who also happens to be my neighbor. They came from her peony bushes and they smell so good. A wonderful scent and sight to wake up to in the morning. The candle sconces were a gift from my boys, the fan is vintage, the chippy white bedside table holding the peonies came from the side of the road, no joke. I love the imperfections and chipped paint. Hubby's bedside table is an old sewing machine table that I painted white, distressed, shortened the legs and added an inexpensive drawer pull to.
We can't wait to go to sleep tonight in this beautiful setting!
Love it! Finding a new purpose for the old weathered barn wood makes me smile.....Have a great week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top